Life can't kill me (only death can..)

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

"what does an 80 year old dead guy have on me?"



It's no secret that I heart the fab four. The Beatles have held a special place in my heart since I listened to my Mom's old Beatle records on rainy afternoons while everyone else was Wang Chunging. Each of them are so talented, especially John Lennon who' songs have touched me deeply. Who hasn't whiled away an hour or two (a day) (okay a week) fantasizing about having John Lennon's love child? I'm the first to admit it, but alas, I'm no Yoko Ono and this isn't 1968 so get on with it, right?

So I grew up and had 5 children. By the time I came to name my fourth I thought "this is really getting challenging."  Even if there is a name I thought I could holler off my front porch every night for 18+ years without getting sick to my stomach, there certainly isn't 5. Then your 5th is born. I am starting to think "I can be a little self indulgent while naming this one" so I tell my husband I want to name this baby after John. I gently push the issue asking for an answer every couple months.  Tick tock  Month 5, hubby is silent.  Month 6, he grunts.   Month 8, he's desperate to come up with something better.  By month nine he reluctantly gives in. Yay me! I get my way!

Now the influx from family and friends of baby Beatle gear. Beatle lullabies, Beatle clothing, Beatle Jewelry, Beatle books. It's like people finally realize for the first time that I have a deep undying love for the Beatles (and I'm loving every minute of it!) Hubby is a great sport, he puts up with the songs, the cards, the name inquiries and the "as in John?" comments every time.. I try to play it cool, for his sake and point out what a special middle name (that he picked out) that the baby has..

Then the other night- the straw that broke the camels back: The baby looks up at my life size John Lennon wallpaper on my computer and says "Da Da." OMG! Laughing (but still secretly fantasizing!) Hubby says nothing but I can see a look, a sad and serious look on his face. I could sense this wouldn't go over well. I actually feel sorry for him, poor guy.  First I get to feel the baby kick, then I get to name him, then I get to breastfeed, then the baby wants me not him, then the baby says mama first.. NOW THIS? I knew this wouldn't be going over well (the poor guy feels left out!)... but he says nothing. I let it go.

Life goes on and a few days passed. When I think it has all blown over and the irk has washed away with time (I myself still thinking it's adorable)  I say "That was funny the other day when baby called John Lennon daddy"  he stops and he looks at me. "that hurts." (serious sad look on his face.) "I'm his daddy, not some 80 year old dead guy." How did I know this was coming? If he ever once in the last six months regretted okaying the name, this would have been it. He looks so sad, yet why do I still feel like laughing? Of course I didn't. (I'm in love with him after all, not John Lennon.)

Men, they are more sensitive than we think. They want to be the first in our lives and their baby's lives,  and you've got to love them- even if their singing voice is less than soothing, and even if they can't write a sophisticated facebook status much less an Emmy winning song. We have to give them their due ..

So three cheers for my good sport!  My patient patient hubby and little Lennon Yeats :)

 So, would I take back the name? Nope.. but I'll make it worth his while.. some how ;) Just not tonight, I still have a headache.

No comments:

Post a Comment