Life can't kill me (only death can..)

Monday, September 26, 2011

"Do not go gentle into that good night!" D.T.

Sometimes I ponder life.  I suppose my life hasn't been the worst thus far, nor has it been the easiest.  I have learned some hard lessons and lost some people I love, some to death, and some in other ways.  I have scraped together an existance with it's highs and lows, laughed cried and everything in between.  Made many mistakes and had many triumphs.  What is it all about?


Although contemplating the meaning of life might be nice, I think this is more meant to be a call to those of us approaching a certain age, that age when we are done caring who or what is popular, done worrying what brand of clothes we have in the closet, done wondering what we should rebel against next.  We are slightly shell shocked and we realize that this isn't a test run or a game.  This is the real thing!  This is LIFE.  Yep, that's what it is, and with new clarity- as we enter this certain age (which is different for everyone) I would like to think we realize more of what it's all about..   


There have been more than one time I have wondered "what did I get my kids into by having them?  Because of my selfishness in being desperate for joy I have brought them here destined to suffer."  Yes, they will also have joy, but everyone has pain, right?  Then the answer came to me.  It came in a soft feeling, the kind of sensation where I was sure God was speaking to me (not using words) and then the "knowledge" he gave me came.  He "said" stop worrying about it.  If I hadn't had them, someone else would have- because God created them, he wanted them to exist and he allowed me to be their mother because he hoped I would do a good job.  Me being a confessed control freak, this was hard for me to accept that perhaps it wasn't all under my control.  But now, now I understood.


Parenting has taught me more than anything about the meaning of life.  Here is the helpless being dropped in my lap.  There is so much care needed, so many choices to be made, each one shaping who this person becomes.  They are dependent on me for their very survival!  I'd do anything for these little people.  But I realize that EVERYONE is someone's baby.  Don't we all deserve to be treated this way?  Don't we all have this much value?  It hits me....(huge moment) Shouldn't we be taking care of each other? *Gasp* That is it, isn't it?  Of course I was told that in Sunday school, but I had to grow up and actually learn it for myself.  I had to understand the whys.


So here we are, all grown up and realizing that the meaning of life is to help each other.  Help every one of us survive the best we can with caring and comfort, dignity and love- mostly love.  If we can find it in our hearts to love, then we can make a difference.  So how, some say, can I love people I don't even know?  Pray about it, that's what I do.  Pray to love these people, although some are annoying and many are ignorant, pray for patience first,  and then love. 


  How can you make a difference, really actually make a difference in our world?  I'm not sure, but here is what I am doing..  I am starting at home.  If I raise my children to be conscious of what is going on around them, to be empathetic with people, to be active in standing up for what they believe in- if I could do nothing more than this, then I have done more than most.


I sign petitions.  It costs me nothing but gives backing to those people out there who are actually doing something tangible, and they need help because it takes real courage to stand up for something you believe in.  It takes time away from loved ones and lots of energy.  Lets help these folks out by patting them on the back and telling them your behind them, strengthen their spirit!


Donate things.  Donate used clothing or items to charity.  If you have lots of money, great, donate money to your favorite cause.  If you don't, don't lose heart. In this materialistic world we sometimes forget there is more to us than money.  Donate time.  Time is invaluable.  It is free yet is the biggest commitment.  We are essentially donating pieces of our lives.  Serve supper at a soup kitchen, ring the Salvation Army bell, volunteer at the hospital.  (Yep, all cliche but still important.) Now, on a smaller scale, help your sister out with her kids if she is having a bad day.  Make supper for a sick neighbor.  Talk an online friend through a hard moment.  Try to be inspiration to someone feeling blah.  Minister to someones spirit.  Teach someone something.  Show someone compassion.  Keep the elderly company.  Hold a hand.  Make a blanket for a homeless guy.  These are all important ways we can help and if everyone did it, we would all have a higher quality of life.


Keep on top of things happening in the world.  I know it's hard, especially with kids, but we need to be aware of what is going on.  WE are our countries checks and balances.  VOTE!


Pray for guidance.  This is probably the most important.  Pray to be in the right place at the right time to do good for someone when they need the most.


I'm no saint.  I try and sometimes I fail, but the good is in the trying.


If more and more of us come to the realization about the meaning of life,  the big secret that we need to Love each other, the world will get softer and gentler.  If it doesn't happen, we just reach farther, try harder, love more.  .  "


Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
 Dylan Thomas.






   


  

No comments:

Post a Comment